Wednesday 18 May 2011

research publication work


                                                                 Comic Style Narrative


Her...........the vision of a goddess fallen among the world of Hades.
Her beauty transcending the realms of which a villain like me has become a part of.
I can feel her............
her angel lips upon mine wiping away the sins of my past and embracing me with her mercy. I shudder to think of her cold, her soul not at peace.
I kiss those sweet lips of hers and promise to shield her soul from the horrors of the underworld in which I dwell.

As my final major project is a comic, I then researched stereotypical comic book narrative in which the medium conveys a sequential narrative originally expressing humour and satire. The formal traditions used in this genre are devices such as speech balloons to 'indicate dialogue' while sequential boxes and panels are used to introduce the flow of the images and text. However, the field has expanded to a diverse range of literary genres such as the neo-noir style of Frank Miller in his 'Sin City' graphic novel series, the fables comic series written by Bill Willingham as well as the recent recreation of the Shakespeare plays in graphic novel series. I felt that as I want my comic to be heavily influenced by film noir, I should use the influence of Frank Miller;s narrative in 'Sin City'. Miller uses devices commonly used in film noir such as soliloquies and a narrating voice over expressing bleakness of a corrupt event that has caused his failing; 'She was murdered and I was right her when it happened'. His text is also reminiscent of sexual obsession used in film noir; 'Her, the vision of a goddess. Goldie'. I have used this grimly realistic depiction of violence, loss and sexual obsession to influence my narrative into a piece reminiscent of neo noir, yet with a comic style narrative; 'the son of a bitch who killed the angel lying next to me'.

No comments:

Post a Comment