Monday 16 May 2011

research publication work





   
                                                        Rhyming Couplets Narrative

The angels will hear his whisper in the skies,
The soft sound of her innocence sung.
Her beauty transcending the mortal world in which she dies,
In death the innocence faded and ended so young.

The thought of her pain leaves me shorn of my strength,
Her sighing and sobbing as she calls my name.
It tortures my thoughts as I lie at full length,
My powers becoming her enemy fills me with shame.

I can vision her, her tender lips, those sparkling eyes,
My powers she found endearing became my vice.
My lost love drowning inside me, releasing to the skies,
Now she is gone, my love for her comes at a price.

I lie visioning her, composed in my bed,
With the horrible thoughts that her soul would not last.
The pitiless pain of the guilt she is dead,
I pray for vengeance and that this event will be past.

I then referred to poetry in one of its simplest forms; rhyming couplets. I intend to research this diverse style of narrative and explore the effects of the devices used and question whether this style is better fitting to produce an emotive story than my original narrative. Alexander Pope's text in 'An Essay on Criticism'; 'True wit is nature to advantage dress'd; What oft thought, but ne'er so well express'd' is effective in calling attention to the text as the rhyme comes about so abruptly. However, due to their predictable rhyme scheme they can feel simple and false; 'Where-e'er you find the cooling western breeze' the next line follows; 'whisper through the trees'. I feel that Edgar Allan Poe's poem 'For Annie' has the most effective rhyming couplets in its simplest form, yet the form is atypical of the genre, allowing for more description and sensibility in the narrative;

                                               "And I rest so contentedly,
                                                Now, in my bed,
                                                (With her love at my breast)
                                                That you fancy me dead-"

I have used this influence to produce a poem with a similar rhyme scheme adopted by Edgar Allan Poe to produce an emotive narrative that draws the audience's attention to the rhyme and yet shows a sensibility to the text that a film noir/comic style narrative cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment